[Wittrs] Re: Anscombe on Free Will

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:35:19 +0100

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: steve bayne <baynesrb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: CHORA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, April 6, 2011 7:19:57 AM
Subject: Re: Anscombe on the Free Will
<snip>
If  Grice is right that We are Our Desires, too many
acts against our will and we  cease to be.

---- This is for Grice explosive stuff, for our free will essentially
constitutes us, or Grice, for we should stop using the plural!

If "we are our desires" then it is our *desires* that essentially constitute us, not any putative "free will", and "ceasing to be" would not be the result of too many acts against our will, but the result of losing all desires (so there would be no will and consequently one could not be coerced to act against it).