[Wittrs] Anscombe on Free Will

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 11:53:41 -0700 (PDT)

 ... forwarding this, because it looks worthwhile.

From: JL Speranza <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Anscombe on the Free Will
To: CHORA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 9:08 PM

 In a message dated 4/5/2011 4:57:56
 P.M., jwbowman@xxxxxxxxx
 writes:
 JL quoted [Grice as writing 'on behalf of Davidson]
 "the position  that there are such things as acts of
 will is not merely
 false but   disreputable" [Actions and
 Events, 1986] [whereas for Grice and
 Prichard it is  possibly unfalse and reputable)

>>Hear hear! It's a grotesque idea, inspired most likely
 by  Plato's
> >chariot drawn by horses that are agents themselves. (If
> you  prefer,
> >Captain Kirk (passions) versus Spock (intellect)
> guiding  the
> >Enterprise of a single "soul".)

 Odd you should mention that since Grice's family called him
 "Trekkie" as he
  was addicted to that astrophysical series.

 Interesting that you should mention Plato. Perhaps Plato is
 more colourful,
  philosophically, than Aristotle. I tend to think that
 Grice possibly knew
 (sort  of all) about Plato since his Clifton Sixth
 form -- public school
 teachers tend  to use Plato when they think their
 students have grasped the
 Hellenic lingo. So  it must have been ARISTOTLE that
 Oxford opened for him. But
 I do agree with  Whitehead that all philosophy has
 been footnotes to Plato.

 Talking of 'acts', I wonder what J. Bowman makes of
 Anscombe. I take Bowman
  to be a Wittgensteinian (and that he favours
 Wittgensteinian exegeses alla
 P.  Hacker). Yet, Anscombe sounds slightly
 _un-Wittgensteinian_ in bits --
 notably  in connection with the 'free-will'. Perhaps
 this was the influence
 of her  husband who had written on "Mental Acts".
 Geach is said to have been
 inspired by  Occam when he wrote that, but I wouldn't
 know.

 In any case, Anscombe (Grice notes) never took part of the
 "Saturday
 mornings" of the Play Group, nor did Murdoch, or Dummett --
 or indeed Ryle or
 Hardie. The latter due to Austin's policy that nobody
 should be older than
 _he_  was).

 I write on 'the' Free will just to be unidiomatic! And I
 write on Anscombe
 perhaps to motivate Bayne, our resident expert on that
 'genia' of
 philosophy.

 Grice quotes from Anscombe once in "Intention and
 Uncertainty" and it may
 relate. He is considering the two directions of fit --
 word-to-world in
 indicative utterances, world-to-word in 'imperative' ones,
 addressed to open
 courses of events to the addressee. And he compares them
 with the 'shopping
 list' in Anscombe's example. A shoppping-list, literally,
 has world-to-word
 direction of fit as you enter the supermarket, but
 world-to-world as you
 exit  it, I think? (And you are free to drop some
 items out of the 'list' for
 different reasons: you may decide you don't desire the item
 ('of your own
 free  will'), or the supermarket is out of stock.
 Anscombe could be pretty
 colloquial.

 Incidentally, it strikes that 'against his will' allows
 perhaps for a
 better paradigmatic-case argument, since most of us should
 remember things we
 did against our will -- unless we don't. (vide Grice,
 "Personal Identity").
 If  Grice is right that We are Our Desires, too many
 acts against our will
 and we  cease to be.

 ---- This is for Grice explosive stuff, for our free will
 essentially
 constitutes us, or Grice, for we should stop using the
 plural! So that without
 his free will he won't do anything (will he?) -- in that
 anything 'he' would
 do  against his free will it would not be 'him' doing
 it. Or something. (I
 note that  "or something" adds an
 eleutheric-prohairesis -- or free choice
 clause -- that  may be sympathetic to some).

 J. L. Speranza