[Wittrs] Re: A material cause of consciousness

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 05:57:42 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Justintruth <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> ...but as to the issue of what causes subjectivity
> we have known that it occurs from biological reproduction for a long
> time and so there is definitely a material cause even though we don't
> know the detail.

For the sake of discussion, let's say we found a certain set of a
person's brain cells (and only those brain cells) when "fired up" was
always associated with the person (to all appearances) being conscious
-- and when those cells failed to fire, the person (to all appearances)
was not conscious. This might prompt us to say "these type of cells"
cause consciousness.

Exactly, what would these cells be causing? And what would the
relationship between the consciousness caused along physical principles
and the person who was experiencing, sorting out, his consciousness?

bruce