[Wittrs] Re: How to Verify Wittgenstein

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:43:24 -0700 (PDT)

(reply to Brandon)

This is hard to say. The question would be the same as asking: do we presume
that there is more to know? Or, do we presume that more can be understood?

Imagine two unsophisticated people in dispute over an assertion. One might say,
"they would take the long way home." And even when they arrived home they would
not realize that the way was "long." On one hand, one wants to say, "let
them traverse as they like," but on another, "could they navigate the short
cut, if shown?"

Probably there are two ideas here. One is simply avoiding a traffic accident in
language. That should be the easier task. If traffic accidents are avoided,
one would not presume any need for "therapy." But then again, it depends upon
what you are conversing about. There are some ideas which are especially
complicated. And when people speak about them, the inability to navigate a
family resemblance or conjugate a lexicon can become problematic. This is
because these traits are skills. And so in that respect, one might always
presume the need for some sort of assistance with grammar. Sort of in the way
it is common to have assistants around when complicated tasks are undertaken.

SW