[Wittrs] Re: Does pain have a referent?

  • From: "blroadies" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:37:37 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> Pain can't be a referent.

Why? Because the only reference allowed in your philosophy are material
objects? Or is it because the your feeling of pain is private and only
you know it? Only you can talk about it. It as if you had a private
screening.

Let's say you related to me your walk in the woods. You description of
the path, the trees, "real phenomena", as you put it, has a referent
because I see the path, the trees. Then again, do I know I see the path
and tree you see?

Once you cut me off from your "inner life", that without refer, you
exclude me from knowing any of your references.

bruce

> The fact that we /can/ imagine this entirety of the "contents of
> consciousness", this "what it is like to be me", leads us into
metaphysical
> speculation

Why metaphysical? Why not order conversation in which we share our joy
and sorrow?

bruce

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf