[Wittrs] Re: Does pain have a referent?

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:59:32 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kirby urner <kirby.urner@...> wrote:

> If you don't believe nominalism provides a suitable model for public
> life, then private life is easier to rescue from that dogma's sorry
> clutches (would be my take, using nominalism in a coherent namespace
> of my own invention that holds up Python as high class nominalist
> logic that deserves our respect -- but then doesn't masquerade as a
> "human grammar" (it's machine language, more Turing than
> Shakespeare)).

Sure, you, and the Babylonians and Arabs who invented algebra, and Descartes
who invented modern usage of variables, and Church and lambda binding, and
Epicurus and his skepticism of essentials, and John Backus and Fortran, and
Grace Hopper and Cobol, and John McCarthy and symbolic processing, and a few
dozen others we could toss in there.

Josh

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf