[wisb] Re: the latest Birding Community E-bulletin (Sept 2013)

  • From: Michael Sullivan <foreverliving@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 20:22:18 -0400

Two questions about domestic birds if anyone can help.

While visiting the sod farms a week ago we noticed two black swans on a
pond in Racine County.  We have to assume they were domesticated but does
anyone know if they are black swans or black-necked swans or?  Sorry I
have no pics but assume someone out there has had to have seen them.  I
am just now getting  the hang of how to use this email list and dumber
than dumb I also forget that I can take pictures with my phone.  I never
think about it until I am back home! I enjoy bird watching but am still
quite a novice.

Second question:  Does anyone know what the black ducks with the white
necks and upper breast are that are mixed in with all the mallards on the
fox river in downtown Waukesha.  They seem to be permanent residents
there as we have seen them on both occasions we have been to Frame Park.
I also saw them in the same pond with the Swans in Racine county.

Mike Sullivan