[wisb] Horicon migrants today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 21:13:39 -0500

It started raining just as I got to Waupun this morning, but moved east pretty
fast so that I could scope at the west end, north of the historical marker.
Shorebird numbers are WAY down - probably only three or four dozen total, and
that includes a bunch of Killdeer.  Only species of note was a couple of Am.
Golden Plovers in transitional plumage.  It started raining hard again, so I
gave up and headed for the Auto Loop, which was dry.  There was a nice little
migrant passerine wave in the woods on both sides of the Auto Tour road right
by the west end of the Old Marsh Rd. Heard or saw at least three Northern
Waterthrushes and a couple of Swainson's Thrushes.  A lot of Am. Robins were
also moving through.  A Sora was doing some interesting long, high calls from
out in the marsh on the other side of the woods, before segueing into a more
normal repertoire.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI