[wisb] Re: owling query

  • From: Karen Etter Hale <chimneyswift1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jefftrapp@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:34:36 -0600

???  Jeff must have found a rare, first edition, signed copy. Even then....

The most recent results I found on Amazon for "How to Spot an Owl" were
$11.21 for new and much less for used. It's a really great book on owls that
I've recommended many times to anyone fascinated by owls (who isn't?).

Karen Etter Hale
Lake Mills
NW Jefferson Co.

jeff trapp wrote: I liked the idea of the book "How to Spot an Owl" until I
looked it up on Amazon. $290.00! Jeff Trapp Madison WI ----- Original
Message----- From: "Wayne &Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxx>[1] To:
<dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxx>[2]; <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[3] Sent: Wednesday,
December 30, 2009 10:03 AM Subject: [wisb] Re: owling query Part 2: A
(slightly) more serious response to Kevin's question: I'd recommend the
following: 1) Pick up a copy of Sutton &Sutton's "How to Spot an Owl." It's
agreat little guide to owls and owling, with good suggestions about the
latter. 2) Get to the right habitat, at the right time. 3) Either play
recordings of owls or imitate their vocalizations yourself. 4) The above
vocalizations should be done in the correct sequence, so as to not (for
example) bring in smaller owls, followed by larger owls which may prey upon
the smaller ones. 5) Don't overdo it, and don't put rare species (e.g.,
Long-ears) at risk. And if all else fails... 6) Kidnap Eric Howe. Take him
along on your owling outing. Some think his owl vocalizations are superior
tothe real thing. Many have been fooled. (Just ask the owls.) Wayne Rohde
Walworth, WI #################### You received this email because you are
subscribed to the Wisconsin Birding Network (Wisbirdn). To UNSUBSCRIBE or
SUBSCRIBE, use the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn[4]. To set DIGEST or VACATION modes,
use the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn[5].Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:
//www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn[6]. #################### You
received this email because you are subscribed to the Wisconsin Birding
Network (Wisbirdn). To UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE, use the Wisbirdn web
interface at: //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn[7]. To set DIGEST or
VACATION modes, use the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn[8]. Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:
//www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn[9].

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxx