[wisb] 2009 missed birds

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:29:08 -0600

I managed to beat my 2008 total by a couple, despite missing several species
that I normally get most years (Screech Owl, Townsend's Solitaire, Gr. Prairie
Chicken, White-eyed Vireo) and a few that I did get the previous year, but not
in 2009 (Saw-whet Owl, Summer Tanager, White-faced Ibis, Whimbrel.)  I didn't
expect to whiff completely on my owl route this year, but that's birding.

I didn't come up with anything stunning on my section of the Hustisford CBC
today.  Many of my best finds came on a recheck of the western part (south of
Juneau in Dodge Co.) in the afternoon.  Got my only Pheasants, Kestrel and
finally spotted a Red-tail, although I did see another later.  Also picked up a
pair of E. Bluebirds and a Cooper's Hawk late.  Curiously, I had very few Am.
Tree Sparrows and no other true sparrows.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI