[wisb] nest predation

  • From: "Jerry Schoen" <basketsandbirds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 07:59:28 -0500

We all know that house sparrows will raid nests and kill the hen sitting on the
nest. Wrens will clear out nest boxes and fill with sticks.What would raid a
Tree Swallow nest, with 5 chicks. This morning the ground below the nest box
was covered with the feathers that were keeping the 3 day old chicks warm. Upon
examining the feathers I found the two wings of an adult, the chicks in the
nest were also gone.  Could the culprit  have been a gopher?. I know squirrels
and chipmunks will raid nests.
Jerry Schoen
Whitewater