[wisb] Yellow-crowned Night-heron: update and pictures

  • From: <zzzlester@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:22:33 -0700

Peter was right about the bird making a showing late in the evening.

Arrived at Goose Pond at 6 PM and scanned the South pond and fence line for an
hour without any luck. Checked the main pond, no YCNH there either. At 7:30
before leaving I decided to check the South location one last time...Success!
The bird was feeding about 50 yards from the fence line and 50 yards out from
Kampen Road.

The sun broke though the clouds at sunset just long enough to give light enough
for one good quality picture...posted 20 in all. By 7:45 it was too dark for
any more pictures.

Being a good ol' chicken fried boy from the south gave me the opportunity to
study mixed populations of Night-herons in KY and correctly ID the immatures of
each specie. This is the first time in my 3 years in WI where I feel I can
actually add some decent input with confidence to a rare bird sighting:  The
all-dark short wedge-shaped bill, the long neck and legs and upright posture
when feeding, and the small tight triangular spots on the wings...all say
Yellow-crowned Night-heron to me.

Thanks to Mark for finding this bird and to Peter for the precision location
and time.

Link to pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=24054&id=1615178349&l=5ba97aff89

Lester Doyle