[wisb] Yellow-breasted Chat and Aberrant Warbler, Portage Co.

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 11:17:29 -0600

A Yellow-breasted Chat was observed along the dike around the last
high-tension tower (north) at Mead Park before the lines go over the
water.  The Chat sang loudly from 9:25 to 10:15 AM.  Habitat here may
well be suitable for a chat.

A nice warbler push included what I am sure was a "black-headed" Canada
Warbler.  I identified the bird first by song as a Canada.  Viewing the
bird, I was astounded to see  what for want of a better description
looked like a Connecticut Warbler.   Quickly checking the length of the
undertail coverets, I eliminated the Connecticut.  The bird came in as I
pished and noted:

-- Dull gray back, tail and wings.
-- Undertail feathers of typical length for warbler.
-- Light yellowish underparts fading to mostly whitish under tail.
-- Sooty blackish hood extending from mid-breast to the nape.
-- Hood contrasted with back.
-- Very striking white eye ring with a minor peak at back of eye.
-- Dark lore.
-- The only mark within the hood was a small light slash on either side
of breast.
-- legs were pale.
-- There was no streaking on breast and the end of the hood on breast
may have almost extended to where the streaks on a Canada would end.
-- Song was typical of a Canada Warbler.

I found another Canada singing about twenty minutes later and compared
my mental notes.  The major note outside the hood was the brightness of
yellow on the second  bird.

Joe Schaufenbuel
5676 Regent St.
Stevens Point
Portage County, WI 54481
(715) 345-2788

'Eureka!' (I found it) but 'That's funny...'"
--Isaac Asimov