[wisb] Wyalusing State Park today/Grant County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 18:22:00 -0500

There are not enough gnatcatchers in the world to devour the hordes of gnats
that are in Wyalusing right now. Although I know they are a nuisance this
time of year, I have never seen so many. They get in your ears, eyes, mouth,
and nose, and repellent has no effect. Another possible problem for visitors
is that there seems to be a problem with the water supply. All the water
fountains are out of order, and the restrooms close to the concession stands
were closed. Campers might want to call ahead to check on conditions.
Because of all this, popular Wyalusing was unusually uncrowded for a weekend
day and there were only a few of us out and around.
Now to the birds. Many of the birds are now heard-only since the leaves are
out on all the trees. Still, I was able to get good looks at some of my
favorite birds. A Prothonotary Warbler landed on the ground at the boat
landing and stayed down for about a minute. Two Louisiana Waterthrushes
foraged in the creek below the falls along the Sugar Maple Trail. Several
Acadian Flycatchers were calling along Long Valley Road as were 3 Kentucky
Warblers. I actually got to see one of this elusive species as it sang right
next to the parking lot for Point Lookout. Cerulean Warblers were numerous
in several parts of the park and I was able to see a female in the Wisconsin
Ridge Campground. The Yellow-throated Warbler was heard-only for me today.
One was singing fairly close to the picnic shelter at Point Lookout but I
finally gave up trying to get a glimpse of him. Likewise, a close
Blue-winged Warbler near the Homestead picnic area could not be spotted by
me
Visual delights were a Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Indigo
Buntings, many Baltimore Orioles, and the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at the
entrance station.
I was going to walk the trail from the observatory to look for Henslow's
Sparrows, but finally had my fill of the gnats up there.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County