[wisb] Wyalusing State Park WW Crossbills (Grant Co.)

  • From: Alex Stark <thearctictern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 12:23:54 -0600

Hey Folks,

Went to Wyalusing SP searching for birds not expecting anything
noteworthy. I decided that I haven't been to the South Loop White Pine
stands in a month so I would check that out today. The road is
baracaded but is free of snow and ice and makes for easy walking. The
park staff does not want people driving through the campsites this
time of year so if somebody wants to bird this section of the park
they must walk or cross-country ski (but not walk on the cross-country
ski trails).

I made the 1.5 mile hike on the road and arrived at the White Pine
stands at 9:00 AM. There are plenty of Red-breasted Nuthatches and
Brown Creeps hanging around as well as the resident Pileated
Woodpecker family. The biggest highlight of the day was a flock of 13
WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS!!! I found the birds above the road by seeing
a cone drop to the ground. These birds did not make any sound or any
flight call, they were completely focused on foraging.

In this particular White Pine stand this year I have found both
Crossbill species, Common Redpoll, Pine Siskin, American Goldfinch and
Purple Finch. It's a long walk but definetly worth a visit.

Bird On,

Alex Stark