[wisb] Wis River Sauk-Prairie

  • From: JAMES F SCHWARZ <jfschwar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:51:20 -0500

I checked a few sandbars on the Wisconsin River near Sauk-Prairie this
afternoon.
The Sauk City Canoe Launch, down Lueders Road, seemed the most promising with
around 20 Killdeer and 40 Least Sandpipers. The water temperature is nice if
you care to go wading while birding.

Scoping from the VFW park in Prairie du Sac showed about 15 Killdeer on beaches
north, toward the dam. A scope was need from the first parking lot. If there is
anything that looks interesting you may want to make your way up stream to get
a better look. I believe it is public land all the way to the beach.

With the lack of flooded fields, the river may be a good spot to continue to
check.

Good birding.

Jim Schwarz
Madison, Dane Co