[wisb] White-winged Scoter, etc.l

  • From: "Chari Rutledge" <charir@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Door County Bird Group" <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdnet" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:57:46 -0600

Yesterday, when returning on the Washington Island ferry I was birding off
the Northport dock and saw a WHITE -WINGED SCOTER, my first sighting of this
bird in Wisconsin.  One of the ferry captains said there had been a pair of
them around for a few days.

There was a large raft of GREATER SCAUP and quite a large group of COMMON
GOLDENEYES.  When leaving the dock and entering the "Door" there were
thousands of LONG-TAILED DUCKS in the deep water.  It is interesting that we
live right across from Plum Island and seldom see Long-tails in front of our
house which is probably not 2 miles away from the area that the long-tails
hang out.  It must be something about the deeper water.

The ferry captain also said that a GLAUCOUS GULL had be spotted in a group
of Herring Gull a few days ago.

Chari Rutledge

Washington Island

Door County