[wisb] White-faced Ibis (Winnebago Co.,) other birds today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 21:51:42 -0500

Chuck Heikkinen and I made a big loop from Madison to Port Washington to
Sheboygan to Fond du Lac to Ripon to Princeton and back home today.  Highlights
were Glaucous and several Lesser Black-backed Gulls (but no Laughing) at Port
Wash, Little Gull (thanks for the tip, Amar!) and Sanderling at Sheboygan,
Cattle Egret at Ridge and Lincoln Rds. (same location where some of us had two
on June 6) north of Fond du Lac, and White-faced Ibis at the Mascoutin Valley
Trail wetland off Meadow Brook Dr. north of Ripon.  The ibis was down at the
east end.  Chuck first spotted it as it worked its way into a clump of
vegetation.  We got just enough of a look at first to be reasonably certain it
was a White-faced, as it appeared to have a wide white outline all the way
around the eye. It later came back out where we could study it at leisure, and
Chuck got lots of photos.   We missed the White-eyed Vireo at the Grand River
Marsh.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI