[wisb] Two Rivers, Manitowoc, Sheboygan Gulls; Sat. 14 June 2014

  • From: "Amar Ayyash" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "amarayyash@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 19:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

I enjoyed another productive June day on the lakefront today. The number of
larids at the cities in the subject line is pleasantly impressive. Here are
some quick highlights for anyone wishing to get out and enjoy some of these
birds on Sunday.
Two Rivers (the beach at Neshotah Park along Zlatnik Drive):
3 Great Black-backed Gulls (all 1st summers)
8 Lesser Black-backed Gulls (six 1st summers, two 2nd summers)
1 Laughing Gull (2nd summer type)

Manitowoc (1st pier along Maritime Drive, north of Cleveland Ave):
5 Little Gulls (all first summers; 4 together in one group)

Sheboygan (Deland Park and North Point):
3 Little Gulls (2 at Deland in the water, 1 at parking lot at North Point - all
1st summers)
2 Great Black-backed Gulls (one at Deland on beach and one at North Point -
both 1st summers)
6 Lesser Black-backed Gulls (one 3rd summer, two 2nd summer, three 1st summer)

It's interesting to note that last weekend we saw zero Great Black-backeds,
whereas today "five" were found with little effort.

Another interesting tidbit from today is some 80+ American White Pelicans at
North Point in Sheboygan. I'm not sure if this is significant but the locals
sure made it a point to stop and take pictures. It was neat to see that many
pelicans on Lake Michigan.

Some photos from today and yesterday:
http://goo.gl/uwN9hP

http://goo.gl/NI4Yl6