[wisb] Re: White River Marsh

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dinderdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bird emails" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:00:16 -0500

Lori, you are correct that there aren't many hiking trails at White River
Marsh -- the best access for walkers and birders is along White River Rd.
(which is a state-designated Rustic Road) and some of the other roads.  As
you said, there is not much traffic along White River Rd., and one can
explore many of the habitat types (from cattail marsh, to sedge meadow, to
lowland forest) by walking from the various parking areas.

Pileated Woodpecker is pretty regular on the marsh, but unfortunately they
are more often heard than seen -- but your chances are still pretty good of
spotting one there.

It’s a huge area (I believe around 12,000 acres), so there is much area to
explore!  Here's the eBird article about this hotspot:
http://ebird.org/content/wi/news/hotspot-of-the-month-white-river-marsh-state-wildlife-area/

By the way, it is my understanding that the Operation Migration Whooping
Cranes that are being trained to follow ultralights at White River Marsh are
planning to depart on migration on this coming Monday, September 30th.
There is a designated public viewing area at the intersection of Hwy. D and
Mile Road on the west side of the marsh -- about 3 miles north of
Princeton -- where one can view the planned flyover.  Of course, this is
weather-permitting, but if you're planning to observe, I would try to be
there by at least 6:45 AM -- even though the flights are sometimes delayed
by fog in the marsh.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.