[wisb] Were they wood ducks? ID question

  • From: Jan Axelson <jan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbird" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:49:31 -0600

This afternoon at Cherokee Marsh I heard a small squeak, then
another. At first I thought it was the boardwalk I was walking on,
but aluminum doesn't squeak. :) As the squeaks got louder and became
a clamor, I realized they were coming from a flock of 250 ducks
flying rapidly up river.

The lighting wasn't great and it happened fast, but they looked a
little smaller and maybe a little slimmer than mallards.

Is there anything other than wood ducks that fit that description? (I
didn't hear the female "oo-eek" call, just something like the male's
whistling call.)

Jan Axelson
Dane County