[wisb] Weekend miscellany

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:49:50 -0500

Thanks to John Romano, I picked up several FOY birds yesterday - I missed the Cerulean Warblers at Mud Lake W.A. in Columbia Co., but did find Black-throated Green, plus Blue-headed Vireo and Least Flycatcher (several of the latter calling.) Also had a Brown Thrasher and Rose-breasted Grosbeak. I was a ways out on a trail there when John called about the Eared Grebes, so I rushed back down there and had a good look through both his scope and mine. (By the way, the Willet that was at Harvey Rd. & Hwy 60 was gone yesterday morning.)

After attending the "Bird Haunts" art opening (lots of really great art - we have some immensely talented folks here,) I cruised up through the Bud Cook area on the east side of Horicon Marsh. Had a few Bobolinks to the east of W. Point Rd., and my FOY White-crowned Sparrow at the east entrance to the Old Marsh Rd. Missed the Cattle Egrets on Stumpf Rd., but it sounds like they come and go, so it may pay to check more than once if you're in the area and miss them the first time. Thanks to Noel Cutright and Bettie Harriman, I saw the Hudsonian Godwit, Baird's Sandpipers and Am. Golden Plovers at F & K south of Fond du Lac.

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.