[wisb] Off-topic: Gray Treefrog

  • From: Tom Sykes <j.thomas.sykes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 08:45:43 -0500

Carol and I took a rare day off and managed to get in a day of birding on Sunday. We drove through the White River Marsh area (we were unable to attend the WSO trip the day before), skirted the Grand River Marsh and eventually wound up at Horicon by early afternoon.

Driving onto Dike Road we happened upon Pat Ready and his wife who conveniently had their scope setup on the BLACK-NECKED STILTS. A little further back up the road, Tom Wood had his scope on an AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER.

Numerous other looks at birds included VIRGINIA and SORA RAILS walking up to the truck while we parked on Ledge Road. On County Trunk Z south of Point Road there were two CATTLE EGRET feeding on the lawn of a farm (near penned cattle but not in with the cattle). BOBOLINKS skylarked at the Bud Cook hiking area.

But I have to say the trip highlight was a calling EASTERN GRAY TREEFROG at the entrance to the floating boardwalk in the auto tour. We hear them calling every year but rarely get a glimpse. This one was within arm's reach, low to the ground sitting on a branch in plain view (well 'plain view' after taking a few minutes to find it because it had blended so well with the bark of the branch). We watched it expand it's sac and shake while calling, wondering why it didn't fall off its perch.

Alas, no camera or video camera on hand - isn't that always the way?

Tom and Carol Sykes
Appleton, Outagamie County

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.