[wisb] Washington Island Christmas Count and Harlequins

  • From: Buboarcto@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:00:52 EST

Hi all!

The Christmas count date for Washington Island in northern Door County is
Dec 19 with the back-up date Dec 20.  You need to take the 4:30  pm ferry
from Northport on Dec 18 and stay overnight on the Island in  order to
participate if you don't live on the Island.  Reservations will  need to be
made
for the return ferry.  Ferry and lodging info can be  found by typing in
Washington Island Ferry Line.

We will meet at 730 am or before at Kenny's restaurant (The Granary) and
divide into teams.  You will need to be dressed in warm layers for  winter
weather and bring water, snack, binoculars, field guide.

We hope to be able to include 3 or maybe 5 Harlequin Ducks in our  count
this year.  Three females of the species were observed near the  Island ferry
dock on Nov 28 (Margaret Young, Conrad McDonald, Sandy-Ursula  Petersen) and
two additional ones have been seen since (Margaret Young, Chair  Rutledge,
Barb Siebel, Susan Rock, others).

Other species of interest at this time are Long-tailed Ducks along with
other winter divers on the Door and flocks of dabblers in the shallows  on the
east side.  Various forest and edge birds including some  interesting
winter migrants usually occur.  A Snowy Owl has  been observed on the Island
and
in northern Door.  Crossbills and Evening  Grosbeaks appear some years.  We
are still seeking the  all-elusive Boreal Chickadee and a stray owl or two.

Happy Holiday Birding,

            Sandy-Ursula  Petersen, rural Stoughton and Washington Island