[wisb] WW Crossbills continue, Forest Hill Cemetery, Madison

  • From: David La Puma <woodcreeper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:04:36 -0600

Thanks to Max Witynski for his initial post about the WW Crossbills at
Forest Hill Cemetery in Madison on 1/30. I biked over there this morning on
the way into work and immediately heard the chatter of ~20-25 WWCRs as they
vacated the spruces in Section 40 and flew NE over section 50. I hung
around for ~30 minutes but the birds didn't reappear. The tree(s) that Max
mentioned in his previous post still have a fair number of cones hanging-
although the number of cones on the ground is far greater. If you're
looking, you'll know you found it when you see the hanging tube feeder that
someone has been refilling. Two red-bellied woodpeckers, a couple of pine
siskins, and numerous American goldfinches, house finches, and black-capped
chickadees were also present.
good birding

David
________________________

David A. La Puma
Postdoctoral Associate
Aeroecology Program
Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology
University of Delaware

Visiting Scientist
SILVIS Lab (http://silvis.forest.wisc.edu/)
University of Wisconsin, Madison