[wisb] WSO field trip report - Jaegerfest 2011 (plain text)

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:38:27 -0500

(Sorry, forgot to set my post to plain text...)

The rains of recent days had subsided by the morning of Friday, Sept. 23 on
Wisconsin Point – on the western shores of Lake Superior. Birders started
gathering by about 6:30 AM, and even though the skies were cloudy, the winds
were very light and the temperature was around 50 degrees. This proved to be
the temperature of the weekend, as it didn’t change much from that point
almost the whole time!

A Great Horned Owl was calling as we began arriving at parking lot #1, and
one by one the new arrivals trudged through the sand across to the beach,
where we began our vigil. A few Bald Eagles flew by in the dim early light,
and several gulls were starting to be seen as they flew in from out on the
lake. Our first Parasitic Jaeger, a dark juvenile, made its first appearance
about 6:55 as it chased various gulls, and it was later joined by a second
dark juvenile. Around 10:00 we had the opportunity to watch at least three
of them flying together, as they were joined by an adult Parasitic – and we
had great looks at all of them as they periodically chased various gulls,
trying to get them to “toss up” their food morsels – which they sometimes
did.

Around 11:30 a small flock of Green-winged Teal was observed as they flew in
the company of about a dozen Redheads. By this time, the group of birders on
the beach approached 80, and with others coming and going, we estimated that
the total attendance was at least 100! Periodically throughout the day
groups of birders would leave the beach to walk the road, looking for
passerines. A fair number of warblers were present, including Northern
Parula, Bay-breasted and Blackpoll, American Redstart and Black-and-white.
In the back of one of the parking lots, a shallow puddle about 5 feet long
had been left by the rain. We were thrilled to see many species of warblers
coming down from some bushes just behind to drink and bathe. At one point,
around 4 Nashvilles were present, along with Yellow-rumps, a Cape May, and a
variety of others. Many of us observed our first couple of juncos of the
fall, and along the bay side we spotted several Black-bellied and Am.
Golden-Plovers.

Back on the beach, around 1:15 PM, we noticed some Bald Eagles that were
attacking an adult Herring Gull, and had him down in the water. As we
continued to observe the drama, he was hit many times by a number of birds,
and he eventually died as he floated on surface, and there were about 10
eagles waiting on the beach as he slowly drifted ashore around 2:00 PM. We
also had good looks at a Peregrine Falcon that cruised overhead and
disappeared over the trees.

Things were getting very quiet on the beach by this time, as the jaegers
were seen less and less during the afternoon, but the slow pace was broken
by periodic appearances by 4 Horned Grebes, 3 Lapland Longspurs, and an
adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was initially floating on the lake, by was
later seen as it flew past toward the nearby landfill. By around 4:45, many
of us had left the beach for the evening, but it had been a very good day –
with 109 total species observed for the day, which included about 17
different types of warblers.

Saturday morning was again cloudy as we began arriving on the beach by 6:30,
and the breeze was again pretty light. The first Parasitic Jaeger was
spotted about 6:50 as it flew about well offshore, chasing various gulls.
Great excitement was generated when a Pacific Loon was spotted flying past
our group, and landed out on the lake. We had very good scope views from our
vantage point, and later some from our group drove down the road for even
closer views and photos – even though he was still a ways out.

We had more excellent views of the various same jaegers as they flew past
our group from time to time through the morning. Several of us commented
about how different our experience has been in recent years, with the birds
no longer just specks flying in the distance. We believe that these closer
appearances are in large part due to our feeding of the gulls, and keeping
them close – on or near the beach. This year we went through several large
bags of expired bread and buns during the three days, as we periodically
tossed some to the hungry hordes – and they squabbled and shrieked their
piercing cries.

Other birds of interest during the day were a Red-necked Grebe, 3 Horned
Grebes, a Merlin and a Belted Kingfisher – and around 1:00 PM single Surf
and White-winged Scoters provided pretty good looks. Once again, the jaeger
activity diminished considerably through the afternoon. Many of us left the
beach by about 3:30 or so, although we later learned that a few Sabine’s
Gulls had been spotted a little before 6:00 PM!

On Sunday morning the skies started out partly cloudy, but more clouds soon
moved in once again. The temperature was just a couple of degrees cooler, at
48 degrees, but once again the winds were calm and the lake was very flat.
As the sky started to grow lighter, several of us took the opportunity to
get scope views of Jupiter and three of its moons.

Unlike the previous days, the jaeger activity was quiet until about 7:30,
but 15 Cackling Geese were observed as they closely followed a string of
much-larger Canada Geese, all flying south. Several Bonaparte’s Gulls were
observed as they flew by in the distance, and a single White-winged Scoter
was spotted. A couple of Franklin’s Gulls were spotted as they swam in the
company of other gulls, and later flew. A number of birders started
departing for home from time to time, but it turned out that they should
have stayed for a bit – because suddenly the call was sounded, “Sabine’s
Gull!!” The striking triangular wing pattern of this bird was spotted as it
landed, and it soon took off and provided the rest of the group with very
good looks as it headed west toward Duluth. It was later joined by a second
Sabine’s.

This exciting species provided a special culmination to our three days of
birding on Wisconsin Point. Thanks to Jeff Baughman for co-leading this
trip, along with our dependable “local host" Robbye Johnson – as well as
everyone who made the long drive to attend and contribute to a fine birding
experience!

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake, WI