[wisb] Jaegerfest Thanks

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:05:15 -0500

First, a big thank you to Tom Schultz and Jeff Baughman for hosting this
event each fall. I have attended all but the first, and each one has brought
together some of the most skilled birders in the state. I always enjoy
seeing another birder I once met in the field but haven't seen for a long
time, sometimes years!
This year my species total was much more modest (63) than most, but over the
three days(Sept. 22-24) that I was there I enjoyed  5 Parasitic Jaegers (the
acrobatic stars of the show),a Pacific Loon, Harris's Sparrow, A. Pipit,
Lesser Black-backed Gull, White-winged and Surf Scoters, 11 species of
warblers, and 3 species of vireos. That is hardly a normal 3 day birding
trip for me!
Thanks to Daryl Tessen and the Kavanaghs for their unending enthusiasm.
Birding the fast moving warbler waves with them and their natural spotting
skills is an experience. They were finding 6 species of warblers in 15
minutes to my one! They showed me how it should be done.
Thanks to Tom Prestby for doing the legwork to find the best vantage point
for viewing the Pacific Loon (making it a positive ID for me) and for
"sending" down the scoters from Gull Bluff.
Thanks to Rob Penbdergast for sharing the Harris's Sparrow so quickly. It
was a very cooperative beautiful adult.
Thanks to Steve Thiessen for sharing the adult Parasitic Jaeger in Allouez
Bay.
It is always difficult to decide when to leave the group. It is a standing
joke among attendees that when a person leaves, a rare bird shows up.
Therefore, those of you who saw the Sabine'sGulls on Sunday owe those of us
who didn't show up Sunday a big thanks. If you want to see them
all, you have to do it like Daryl does, put in an entire week!

Thomas C. Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County