[wisb] WSO field trip - White River Marsh (Green Lake Co.)

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 22:29:04 -0500

About 15 people were gathered along the Rustic Road at the White River Marsh
State Wildlife Area around 5:00 AM today (with the number later about
doubling).   Initially the temperature was around 39 degrees, but the skies
were clear and it later warmed into the low 60s.  We heard American
Woodcock, Wilson's Snipe, American Bittern, Sora and Virginia Rails,
Sandhill Cranes and a variety of other species sounding their breeding
"calls" across the marsh.  A hike down the road to a nearby grassland added
Henslow's Sparrow, Bobolink and Sedge Wrens, and an adult Peregrine Falcon
was perched on a dead tree.  A Wood Thrush was singing in the forest, and
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers added their high nasal calls.  We walked back to the
cattail marsh adjacent to the parking area and were able to call in a
cooperative pair of Virginia Rails, one of which called and explored the
marsh edge in plain view -- just inches away from our feet!

We drove down the gravel road to a nearby oak island, and found
Yellow-rumped Warblers, House Wrens and a Gray-cheeked Thrush.  A couple of
Yellow Warblers were spotted just down the road, and a stop at the White
River bridge added Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Yellow-throated Vireo, and
Eastern Phoebe.  Farther down the road, in the wet forest, we had Northern
Waterthrush, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and great looks at an Orange-crowned
Warbler.  A brief stop along Highway D provided looks at an Eastern Kingbird
up on a wire.

From the White River Marsh we drove south to the vicinity of Lake Puckaway,
and a boat landing in the village of Marquette.  On the lake we spotted
American White Pelican, Double-crested Cormorants and some Herring Gulls.
Unfortunately, the stiff NW wind coming off the lake appeared to be keeping
down the bird activity along the shoreline.  One of the highlights was the
sighting of a Common Raven, flying over the trees across the water.
Initially it was observed in the area of a crow, providing good comparisons,
but the proportionately narrower wings and wedge-shaped tail were apparent
through our scopes.

We ended the day at Lake Maria, in the southern part of the county.  As we
arrived, an immature Bald Eagle was flying over the lake, sending a large
group of coots into a wild panic --  running and flapping across the water.
Several scattered flocks of Ruddy Ducks were present, along with Northern
Shovelers, Lesser Scaup, Redheads and Green-winged Teal.  A Great Egret flew
by, and a handful of Forster's Terns provided good looks as they landed on a
floating log.   A final stop just after noon along the "Old Hwy. 73"
adjacent to the lake added a Brown Thrasher and a Hermit Thrush.

Altogether it was a great day to be out, and although the birding was
generally slow we continued to add new species.  Thanks to Jeff Baughman for
co-leading this trip.

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake
Green Lake Co.

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.