[wisb] Vernon Marsh - WIlsons Snipe??, Greenfield Park Herons & others

  • From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 01:58:48 -0400

It's been a busy summer.

Earlier Saturday, I made a late afternoon/evening trip to the figure 8 dykes of
Vernon Marsh.  The Dikes are north east of the parking lot on the north end of
Frog Alley Rd.  The west pond has a reasonable amount of water, while the east
pond ha very little water.  The east pond didn't show much other than a handful
of Canada Geese.  There were lots of interesting sounds, but I have little
familiarity with recognizing birds by sound.  One distinct sound was more of a
laughing call.  There was also some small sparrow (photo), I believe, that made
a very brief appearance.

The west pond had a lot of vocal Sandhill Cranes, some Wood Ducks, a few Great
Blue Herons, and numerous shorebirds including what I think were three Wilsons
Snipe (photos).

I'd appreciate confirmation on the Snipe and identification of the sparrow.

There were lots of turtles including what I think was a very large soft-shelled
turtle (eyes and snout only) and snapping turtle.  There were also lots of carp
swimming along the surface and splashing.  This was the first time I haven't
seen any beaver for a very long time.

I also posted many photos that include a sampling of birds and wildlife from
Greenfield Park in West Allis.  What a treat to see five juvenile Great Blue
Herons raised this year.

Here's a summary of photos from Vernon Marsh and others that include some off
topic reptiles and mammals.

Vernon Marsh - August 31 - near Mukwonago, Waukesha County
starts with Wilson's Snipe:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9643256108/
Unknown Sparrow, GH Owl, Sandhill, GB Heron:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9640017585/

Greenfield Park - spans the summer - West Allis, Milwaukee County
starts with Belted Kingfisher:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9640002745/
GB Herons start with http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9643234112/
Gulls (warning dead bird, fish) start with
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9639936615/
Canada Geese start with http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9643141528/

Off Topic:
Turtles including day old snapping turtles start with
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9639882733/
Mammals including mink and deer start with
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9639872341/

And, the most current photo is a hummingbird moth:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/9643260534/

I hope you enjoy viewing the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Thanks,
Tom Wright
Wales - Waukesha County