[wisb] Vermillion Flycatcher today

  • From: Paul Schwalbe <p.g6schwalbe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdnet, Wis" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:09:03 -0600

Dear Birders:
We'll tell you how we found the Vermillion Flyctcher today if you promise
not to throw anything at us!

When we got to Wallin Rd. driving west on Stebbinsville, we saw the
partially plowed field just across
from where Wallin intersects with Stebbinsville, and turned into the field
towards the lake to park and
look at the far side of the lake.  Got out of the car with our bins, and
before we could raise them to our
eyes, saw the flycatcher in the  brush at the end of the row of trees to
our left (west) that went from the
road down to the lake.
This was 11:20 a.m. There it was, only about 75 ft. from us.  It would fly
down and land on the lake shore,
then back up on some of the fallen branches, back to the ground, back to
the low branches, etc.  It was
very windy and cold.  After about five minutes it disappeared.  We then had
a cup of coffee to celebrate.

Another lady with three children arrived and we let them know where we had
seen it, and that we thought it
may have gone around the end of the row of trees, so they walked west
just past the  row of trees and found the bird in the weeds that were
growing along the lake shore.  It had
apparently moved around the end of the row of trees as we thought and was
foraging in that area.  With
scopes, we watched it for another ten minutes or so and last saw it about
11:45.
We were not able to find it again.

Nice state bird!

Good birding............................   Paul & Glenna

--
Paul & Glenna Schwalbe
Pardeeville, Columbia Co.