[wisb] Upon further review...

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:46:56 -0600

Looking at the records for Am. Bittern again, I believe Feb. 6 IS correct for
the departure date.  The "overwintering" dates that are specified (as opposed
to a year range) are all in mid- to late February.  Tough birds...

By the way, for newbies to the list, you can check the WSO Arrival and
Departure date records at this link:
http://wsobirds.org/files/Records/ArrivalDeparture2011Fall.pdf  (use Ctrl+F to
search by species name)

I would highly recommend just browsing through the list of species and seeing
when they're considered "early" or "late".  Whether you're an inexperienced
birder who is just starting to learn what species to expect and when, or more
advanced in your ID skills and doubting what you think you saw, it's a really
good way to find out what would be likely at a particular time of year.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI