[wisb] Two Thumbs Up for "The Big Year"!

  • From: "Dave&Margaret Brasser" <2shebbirders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 16:42:45 -0500

As the intro to the movie says, "This is a true story.  Only the facts have
been changed."  Yes, many of the details (and the names of the birders) have
been changed in the movie; but the basic story line is intact, and in our
opinion Hollywood has not at all ruined the book.  In fact, the humorous
portrayals by Owen Wilson, Jack Black, and Steve Martin add to the story.
As Roger Everhart said earlier on WisBirdNet, the movie is "funny,
passionate, and touching".  Plenty of close-ups of great birds.  The pelagic
birding tour with "Annie Auklet" (portraying a tour guide who shall remain
nameless) was spot on.  It seems as though the movie was actually shot in
the genuine birding hotspots in North America.  Even the credits--which
included photos of all "755" birds seen by "Owen Wilson" and great
music--were fun to stay for.  All in all, the first movie we've ever seen
portraying birders as we really are.  Fine book; fine movie!
--Dave & Margaret Brasser
Sheboygan
Sheboygan County