[wisb] Twilight trip to Waukau

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:05:14 -0700 (PDT)

   Have been anxious to get on to inform Wisbiydland about my first visit to
Uihlein Marsh,on Tuesday night to what I call my study area to the south of
Waukau.  I've been looking and listening to the activity of this huge marsh for
that past 10 yrs.  Last night's visit was productive, got 8 FOY's  staring with
a strange mix of ducks in  the SE corner of Cty. M and Hwy. 44.  FOY's will be
marked with a *.   BW * and GW Teal* were present,  ~20 shovelers, ~ 15 redhead
and some mallards.  The drive up "M" was a surprise seeing a controlled burning
of a grassland happening, but fortunately had no impact on the activity along
the walk out into the marsh. Ton's of frogs going strong, barely hearing a
sora* in the crowd, but a little further yet hearing a Virginia Rail* was
great.  Many more soras out further. My other targets were had, Am Woodcock*
and W. snipe*.  Swamp sparrows* were numerous well into the marsh.   PB Grebes
were hollering off
 in the distance,  an Am. Bittern* was a typical treat.  A GH Owl hooted far to
the east. LOTS of cranes and geese but NO herons whatsoever, how weird was
that?
    Paul Bruce, Oshkosh