[wisb] Tundra Swans - Buffalo County

  • From: heidi hughes <4eagles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:19:48 -0600

I joined students and their teachers from the Maxville Alternative School
(Durand) on their first birdwatching expedition down the Mississippi River this
afternoon.  We stopped at Cedar Ridge Resort just south of Alma and looked west
into Pool 4 (Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge).  What
a spectacle!   The backwaters are starting to freeze up, but large numbers of
Swans are now on the Wisconsin side of the River - close to shore.

If you go to Cedar Ridge, please stop in the office and let Wes Stensland know
you're there before you head down the driveway to his riverfront.

several thousand Tundra Swans
several thousand mallards
200+ Canada Geese
200+ Gadwall
7 Bald Eagles

We drove down to Alma to check out the view from the deck.  Spotted 6 Tundra
swans close to the deck, along with mallards, Canada geese, gadwall.

Heidi Hughes
Nelson WI