[wisb] Trumpeter swans

  • From: "jibarnes" <bjim7006@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:16:35 -0500

Has there been a recent expansion of trumpeter swan populations? I've seen
them at three different locations in southwest Wisconsin in the last couple
of years. A breeding pair has been active in Crawford county for several
years now. I saw the pair and 6 young in a flooded area along Hy. 131, just
north of Hy. E. this spring. Another pair was seen along Hy 133 between Blue
River and Muscoda both last year and this year but I haven't seen any young.
Saturday (6/21/14), I saw a pair (2 birds) in the floodplain of the Kickapoo
River along the Kickapoo Valley Road.

Jim Barnes

Milwaukee County