[wisb] Stewart Park birds, and Native orchids

  • From: The Gorman-Baers <gormbaer@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: p.g6schwalbe@xxxxxxxxx, "Birdnet, Wis" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 21:02:13 -0500

First, the birding content: At Stewart County Patk (Dane) this
morning, I saw a couple of interesting things: a mother Wild Turkey
shepherding her young (turklets?) away from the trail to safety. I
also saw a one Scarlet Tanager chasing another through the trees. One
of the Tanagers was decidedly reddish-orange rather than bright red -
much like the orange variant pictured in Sibley.

OK, orchids: Showy Orchis isn't exactly rare in Wisconsin, but all
orchids are special. You can see its range at :

http://www.botany.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?SpCode=GALSPE&Genus=Galearis&Family=Orchidaceae&Species=spectabilis&Common=showy%20orchis&photo=..%2Fphotos%2FGALSPE_JH1.jpg&thumbmaps=..%2Fthumbmap%2FGALSPE.gif&hand=H

I've seen several in Stewart County Park. In fact, I just discovered
another one this morning while pulling Garlic Mustard. Here's a photo
from a week ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52421717@N00/3538606499/

--
Peter Gorman