[wisb] Southern Wis

  • From: "Kevin" <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin birding network \(E-mail\)" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 06:38:37 -0500

We took the kids out Sunday to show them the variety of habitats that
Wisconsin has (besides farms!) Checked a few places along HWY 19 between
Watertown and Mazomanie with nothing unexpected seen, although we did let
the kids chase a turkey at the Indian Lake Dog park to show Cordelia that
Turkeys do fly. The turkey never flew, just ran really fast so she still
doesn't believe us. Next to Arena boat landing where we saw nothing
unexpected. Spring Green had many LARK SPARROWS near the entrance and in the
parking lot, several ORCHARD ORIOLES, a BB CUCKOO, and the MOCKINGBIRD was
seen briefly. The Nature Conservancy should really put up some signs there
for trail markings as we walked at least 5 miles causing Phoebe to start to
cry and state "I never want to come here again!"

Then on to Baxter's Hollow where we saw most of the same birds Aaron's group
saw, but also picked up a YELLOW THROATED VIREO. At Devils Lake, we heard a
singing WINTER WREN, Palfreys glen had nesting LOUSIANA WATERTHRUSH in the
Gorge. It was dark by then so we had to skip Horicon. Ended up with about 80
species for the day, wish I knew my Warbler calls better as we missed a
bunch of birds that we couldn't see and couldn't ID by voice.

Thanks to all that replied to my request for info on these areas.
Kevin Kearns
Neenah