[wisb] Pheasant Branch Conservancy - Dane County Park

  • From: "Mike McDowell" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Wisconsin Birding Network'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:41:31 -0500

I attended Aaron's Madison Audubon field trip at Baxter's Hollow this
morning - what a great time!  Late this afternoon, I headed out to the Dane
County parcel of Pheasant Branch Conservancy.  There were numerous
CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS, FIELD SPARROWS, and at least one SAVANNAH SPARROW.  I
also heard a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO calling from the northwest side of the
drumlin.  ORCHARD ORIOLES were singing in the oak trees and EASTERN
KINGBIRDS foraged along the trail from perch to perch.  SEDGE WRENS were
very abundant, and I was able to get some nice digiscoped images of them:

http://www.birddigiscoper.com/sedgewren2009a.jpg

http://www.birddigiscoper.com/blogmemwk92a.jpg

Here's a Yellow Lady's Slipper from Baxter's Hollow:

http://www.birddigiscoper.com/blogmemwk94a.jpg

and May Apple:

http://www.birddigiscoper.com/blogmemwk95a.jpg

Mike McDowell