[wisb] Southern Dodge Co.-WESTERN MEADOWLARK

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:17:19 -0500

I stopped at the pond along Hwy 26 north of Watertown to look for
shorebirds this morning seeing killdeer, spotted sandpiper, 1 semi-palmated
sandpiper and 1 semi-palmated plover. No sign of the Wilson's phalarope
seen a couple days ago. But an actively singing WESTERN MEADOWLARK was
present around the hayfield west of the pond. At one point if flew across
the road and foraged along the edge of the vegetation on the south end of
the pond. I then had excellent scope views from less than 100'. The dark
barring on the tail was narrower than the light barring and showed no
widening in the center of the feathers. Also the yellow extended up onto
the cheek. It was present and singing when I left at 11:30.
 Dave Schrab
 Dodge Co