[wisb] Short-Eared Owls Paradise Valley Wildlife Area

  • From: "Spencer Stehno" <pensacola634@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 22:15:22 -0600

Sunday, December 07, 2014,– Paradise Valley Wildlife Area – Waukesha County
– Near Dousman.  Wind – 10mph ESE – 32à30oF – overcast

The Short-eared Owls appeared again this evening but less vividly about 4:40
PM.  Two were seen.

They were viewed by several birders from Pewaukee & Madison, and myself.  We
were watching at same DNR ADA Blind straight out west from parking lot.

Birds were seen on the northwest side of dike flying to east.  One SEO was
clearly vocalizing.  My first time hearing that.  We only had about 5
minutes of viewing, then a break, and then one flying close by against
cloudy sky, but blending quickly into dusk and tree line.

Great Horned was heard calling in the distance.

Several Northern Harriers were seen hunting on north side area of east-west
road/dike.