[wisb] Shorebirds at Collins Marsh

  • From: <rcd2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:44:05 -0400

The DNR is drawing down the water at Collins Marsh in Manitowoc County.  At
present, there are extensive mudflats.  While walking one of these areas this
evening (June 17th), believing I would find nothing more in the way of
shorebirds than Spotted Sandpipers and Killdeer, a group of 18 shorebirds
suddenly landed.  Going back to the car for a scope, I found that the birds
were Least Sandpipers.  This is an uncomfortable time to be seeing Least.  Are
they coming or are they going?  My guess is that they are coming.  The record
spring departure date for the Least is June 17 (set in 2002 in Sheboygan by
David and Margaret Brasser).  The one exceptional record is of Least remaining
until June 28 in 2007 (Sontag in Manitowoc).  The record fall arrival date is
June 19 (set in 1985 in Manitowoc by Sontag).
   -- Bob Domagalski, St. Nazianz (some 5 miles from Collins Marsh)