[wisb] New Lisbon BBS and Wyalusing S.P.

  • From: "Dar Tiede" <crepuscular@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdnet" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 08:33:15 -0500

Cathy and I completed the New Lisbon BBS Thursday morning under calm winds
and dry skies with 71 species.  This route begins in Juneau County and runs
west into Monroe County.  Highlights included ORCHARD ORIOLE, HENSLOW'S
SPARROW, BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, and DICKCISSELS (at 5
stops).

Stopped at the Nature Conservancy preserve near Spring Green on the way to
Prairie du Chien.  LARK SPARROW (1) and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW (3) were
observed on a short hike.  It was already early afternoon and getting hot so
did not walk all the way to the bluff.  A quick stop at Governor Dodge State
Park and a walk on the Stephens Falls trail did not turn up anything new -
was hoping for a Louisiana Waterthrush.

Spent four hours Friday morning at Wyalusing State Park before heading back
home.  The BELL'S VIREO began singing about 5:45 between the two mowed
sections of the Turkey Hollow trail - off to the right side of the road as
entering the park, before the park office.  There were about a dozen
hummingbirds at the park office feeders.  HENSLOW'S SPARROW was singing from
an exposed perch just past the office where Homestead Camp Road turns left
to the campgrounds.  Next stop was the Homestead Picnic Area where I could
hear YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER singing in the pines on Turkey Hollow Trail as
soon as I got out of the car.  Managed to get a nice look at one before
heading to Long Valley Road.  A slow drive down this road to the boat
landing produced the expected specialties ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, CERULEAN
WARBLER, and KENTUCKY WARBLER.  Acadians and ceruleans were numerous.  Heard
Kentucky at three different stops but only one brief look at one of them.
More ceruleans at the boat landing plus PROTHONOTARY WARBLER.
Yellow-throated vireos, wood thrush, and redstarts added to the aural
delights of the drive.  I was also surprised to see a pair of YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKERS here but after reviewing the breeding bird atlas I see that they
are not only just northern breeders but also along the Mississippi and
Wisconsin river corridors.

Wyalusing - what a wonderful location!  The view of the rivers from the
passenger pigeon monument was inspiring (assisted with cerulean singing from
the parking area).  Wish I could get there more often...

Dar and Cathy Tiede
Appleton