[wisb] Shorebird update/ Fond du Lac, Winnebago Counties

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 16:08:59 -0500

While I did not have the variety at Horicon Marsh that Daryl Tessen had
yesterday, there were still a large number of shorebirds and I was able to
spot 14 species. Best was a Black-necked Stilt family north of STH 49 about
.5 miles east of the historical marker.
It consisted of a pair of adults and 4 young. I am always excited to see the
young because a successful breeding means there may be more Black-necked
Stilts next year.

Other nice finds were the Red-necked Phalarope (personal first of year (FOY)
which was very close to the road just east of the historical marker for the
entire length of my visit, and the on-again, off-again Hudsonian Godwit,
this time northeast of the historical marker and about 150 yards out.

More common species were (many) Least, Semipalmated, and Pectoral
Sandpipers, at least 3 Stilt Sandpipers, 1 dowitcher (sp), 1 Black-bellied
Plover, 1 Wilson's Phalarope, many Killdeer and Semipalmated Plovers, (many)
Lesser Yellowlegs, and (a few) Greater Yellowlegs. I failed to find the
long-winged peeps (White-rumped and Baird's) that have been reported there
the past two days. Neither did I see the Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers or
the Wilson's Snipe that Daryl found.

After failing to find a Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Ashton earlier this
month, or during several trips to Horicon and Wind Lake sod farms, a visit
to Anderson Sod Farms approx. 3 miles west of STH 76 on Winnegamie Drive to
see Daryl's Buff-breasted Sandpiper was in order. When I arrived I saw my
first-of-the season American Golden Plover. It took over an hour, but
finally the Buff-breasted Sandpiper came into view about 60 yards from the
road. This was in the field of dead grass on the west side of the farm.

It wasn't the prettiest I've seen- a very pale worn adult, but it was my FOY
Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County