[wisb] Shorebird Spring/Fall Migration

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 01:22:33 +0000 (UTC)

It seems that at least a couple of migratory shorebirds are moving around
Wisconsin, as is typical with this time of year. Yesterday I heard a Lesser
Yellowlegs fly over me in Marathon County, which I presume to be a southbound
migrant (seeing that I have not observed any in Wisconsin since my return in
late May). I also see recent reports (i.e. the past four days) of Semipalmated
Sandpiper and Dunlin, although I'm not sure if I would call them spring or fall
migrants!
With the wet spring/summer we're having, flooded fields are what we should be
keeping our eyes on. I've seen lots of flooded fields, but no shorebirds at
them...yet...

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.