[wisb] Sheboygan and Kewaunee Today

  • From: Rob Pendergast <acadiantigerheron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:31:00 -0600

I arrived in Sheboygan around 9:00 AM this morning, starting at Blue
Harbor. There were 2 Great Black-backed Gulls present here (one adult, one
juvenile) besides that, there were only Herring and Ring-billeds. There was
also one Surf Scoter and one White-winged Scoter quite close to shore along
with a lone male Hooded Merganser. One Red-throated Loon was also present
at the end of the channel. There was a probable female Barrow's Goldeneye
in a small raft of Common Goldeneye, I'm still not going to count it. North
Point was fairly quiet, another Great Black-backed Gull was on the rocks
off the point, that was probably the most exciting thing there.
Kewaunee had much more going on. As Daryl mentioned earlier the Ross's
Goose was not present, but, there were several hundred Canada's there.
There was one adult male Long-tailed Duck mixed in a raft of
Scaup/Goldeneye below the southernmost breakwater. Several hundred Common
Goldeneye were present along with pockets of both Red-breasted and Common
Mergansers, a few Lesser Scaup, three American Black Ducks and one Redhead
were the Ducks present in the harbor. An American Pipit flew across the
beach and landed somewhere in the grass on the northern part of the harbor
(it called multiple times). There were also several hundred Gulls sitting
on the ice just before I left (1:30-2:00 PM). There were 7 species total,
majority were Herring and Ring-billed but, mixed in were 3 Great
Black-backed, 2 Glaucous, 1 Iceland, 1 Thayer's, and 1 Lesser Black-backed.

On my way home I had 2 Brown-headed Cowbirds on County Road B east of
Plover, they were mixed in a flock of Starlings. Also notable was 1
Northern Goshawk flying east, a few miles outside of town.

Good Birding,

Rob Pendergast, Plover, Portage County