[wisb] Sheboygan

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:40:36 -0600

I spent almost 2 hours in Sheboygan this morning.  North Pt was quiet
except for an adult Glaucous Gull, plus a few Ring-billed Gulls.
However by Blue Harbor the activity was much better!  Most of my time
I spent here with things suddenly appearing, and then disappearing.
The White-winged and Surf Scoter were found out by the mouth of the
harbor, along with a 100+ scaup and goldeneyes.  They eventually
mingled with the two rafts but had disappeared when I rechecked quite
some time later.

I searched for quite some time for Rob's possible female Barrow's
Goldeneye without success.  However after almost an hour I was
pleasantly surprised to find the MALE Barrow's Goldeneye swimming
with Commons and C. Mergansers.  It was near the inner breakwall
(with the red light on it).  It was in view for almost a half hour,
bathing, preening, swimming and eventually sleeping.

A last check (literally) on the lake south of the harbor revealed the
Red-throated Loon actively feeding.  It would be up a max of one
minute and dive for a few minutes before resurfacing.  It was about a
third of the way out from the parking lot, slightly to the southeast
from the harbor.

Additionally 3 more adult Glaucous Gulls, 4 Great Black-backed Gulls
(all adults except for a 1st yr bird) and an adult Iceland Gull moved
around the harbor and lake area.  Also present were single male
Redhead, Lesser Scaup and Hooded Merganser.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI