[wisb] Re: Scaup, Ross's & Cackling Goose ID pages

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:01:19 -0800 (PST)

I also wanted to mention that Ken Abraham (Cackling/Canada Goose expert from
the Ontario MNR) told me that small forms of white-cheeked geese in Wisconsin
are far more likely to be Cackling Geese than Lesser Canada Geese. As he put
it, "it's a matter of probability of origin".

Here's an excerpt from his e-mail:

"All breeding small forms in the central and eastern arctic are considered to
be Branta hutchinsii hutchinsii [Cackling Goose]. Although many people still
use the Lesser Canada Goose common name, it is now only appropriately used for
a bird of this size from Alaska, as Alaska is the only place that the genetic
stock B.c. parvipes [Lesser Canada Goose] has been identified as breeding.
There is no genetic evidence of B.c. parvipes as a breeding form in Canada...We
now know from genetic sampling that the only small white-cheeked goose genetic
stock in the west Hudson Bay region and to the north and east of there is B. h.
hutchinsii. This is not to say that Alaskan B.c. parvipes don't occasionally
migrate through Canada, but I would suppose that to be mostly much farther to
the west. So, it's a matter of probability of origin, and for WI that would be
the Hudson Bay region and the eastern arctic, where to our knowledge the only
small form that breeds is B.
 h. hutchinsi."

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee