[wisb] Re: Says Phoebe still present with a photo

  • From: "Korducki" <korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rawshooter@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:10:46 -0500

I arrived at Lake Park at about 1110.  Brian Hansen said he had not seen the
bird in about 30 minutes but believed it was still around.  I searched the
area around the golf course without success and even walked all the way to
north part of the park.  Deciding to make one more sweep of the area I
located a cluster of birders who had relocated the bird.  I saw it a few
times on the back side of a tree.  It was a small flycatcher.  Saw the
orange under the darker tail and thought it was probably the Say's Phoebe.
Unfortunately most of my views were partially obscured.  When it did perch
in the open once it was horribly backlit and was a mere silhouette.  We then
had it at quite a distance before losing it.

After I got back to my car Brian's e-mail came through to my phone.  I took
one look at it and realized his photo was a Vermilion Flycatcher.  The bird
we had did look a bit small for Say's. I think the exposure on the first
picture makes this bird appear much lighter than it did in the field.  Jym
Mooney and especially John Dixon obtained some photos of the bird as well.
John's should be pretty good to help with ID.  I have seen Vermilion's
called Say's a few times in Texas.  It's not hard to do especially when a
bird is as flighty as this and only giving brief obscured views.  It's
fortunate so many birders have good cameras now.  Both birds are very rare
for Wisconsin although after so many saw the Vermilion last fall I'm sure
that they would prefer a Say's.

Mark Korducki, New Berlin