[wisb] Saw-whet Owl and Raven !!!

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 06:16:15 -0700 (PDT)

    Good morning to all  ---   Friday night  received word from my oldest
daughter of an apparent SAW-WHET OWL on our neighbor's maple.  She told me
about "a very small owl with no ear-tufts and large eyes and heavy brown
streaks on the sides."   I then showed her the picture in my book to which she
replied, " Yep, that's it."   I  attempted in calling for it when I was outside
around 11:30 when she saw it around 8, but to no avail.
    Another odd sighting from yesterday around the west-side of  Oshkosh around
the busy construction area of 9th and Washburn (frontage road),  I'm 90% sure
of it being a RAVEN.
 The size, shape and even the angle of deception said so.  The bird was flying
only above the trees in the area and away from me, holding it's wings on an
angle like a vulture does. The tail was long too.  Beak, long and pointed
downward.  I saw the bird at ~ 200 ft. away from me.

      Birds also from yesterday include the following FOYs,  B. Oriole,
white-crowned sparrow, cliff swallow,  yellow warbler,  No, waterthrush,  which
means I actually got out for a while.  The Asylum Park (Carp Ponds) area was
checked out.  I don't remember who asked about the Bell's Vireo and if it would
be affected by the trimming job out there, Terry, was that you maybe?  I
personally think the bird would be totally UNaffected by that job.
  The trees that it inhabits have not been touched, so I'd say if it comes back
for the 5th year in a row, it should feel very welcome.  We'll see what happens.
   In conclusion for today, I saw 2 high-flying northbound broadwings while
waiting for work and heard a singing black-and-white warbler in the back yard
this a.m.  Bring on the passerines !!!

     Paul Bruce, Winnebago Co.