[wisb] Savannah Sparrow: Kenosha

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:16:51 -0600

Wisbirders:
Sorry for the late report, but I wasn't aware of the significance of this
sighting until today.  On Sunday morning I birded the Kenosha lakefront
between the harbor and the marina.  I saw some fairly unexpected, although
not rare species.  The harbor had one female RUDDY DUCK, Common Mergansers,
Goldeneye, and Canada Geese.  The marina had over 400 gulls roosting on the
sheltered ice, a few of which I suspected of being Thayer's, but I lacked
proper optics to be sure.  Many, many more were circling overhead and
nearby, so the area might be worth checking by someone with more gull
knowledge than I have.  The biggest surprises were in the bay at Eichelman
Park.  One SAVANNAH SPARROW and three AMERICAN PIPITS were foraging on some
matted green vegetation on the beach.  All four of these birds seemed late
to me, and the sparrow might have been injured.  It was hopping and running
actively, but never flew and allowed me to get within ten feet of it; only
running under rocks to hide.  At least 200 diving ducks and gulls were
congregated in the sheltered bay, amazingly close and easily viewable.  The
habitat also seemed excellent for Purple Sandpiper, with waves crashing
against boulders with green matting on them, unfortunately I had no time to
look.  Richard Bong State Recreation Area had three SHORT-EARED OWLS on
12/26.

Max W,
Madison, Dane